Monday, September 21, 2009

A Wonderful Weekend...

Kirk and Elijah and I just got home late last night from a weekend in PA to celebrate the life of my Grandma Spier.  She died a few months ago and we had her memorial service on Saturday.  It was a great tribute to her life...God was honored in all of it.  I had the opportunity to speak at the service and reflect on the memories I had with her.  If you are interested in reading it, I am copying it below:

"Hi, my name is Chrissie Duncan and I am one of Evelyn’s many grandchildren. I am grateful for the opportunity to stand here today and honor her memory and her legacy. She was truly a remarkable woman. Days after my grandmother died, I sat down with a pen and paper and tried to formulate my thoughts about her impact on my life. I can’t tell you how challenging it is to put into words what a woman like Grandma has taught me. My heart is truly sad that she is gone, but when I really stop to think about her life, I can’t help but smile.

I can’t help but smile when I think about all the fun memories we shared when I was a child. My family was blessed to have her live with us for many years and because of that, I carry countless special memories with me. I can’t help but smile when I think about Grandma taking me to Disneyworld for the first time. I can’t help but smile when I think about the fact that she somehow convinced my sister Jessica and I that washing her dishes was a fun activity for us (what a smart woman!). I can’t help but smile when I think about how faithfully she visited those in her church who were not able to get out anymore and took my sisters and I along and showed us the value of service to those less fortunate.

I can’t help but smile when I think about my Grandmother’s wit. All the way until her final days she was a joy to be around. She always had something clever to say and she certainly wasn’t afraid to poke fun at herself. I remember specifically laughing on Christmas mornings with Grandma. She would open a new outfit from my parents and say something like “Oh wait until all the men see me in this.” Or she would open up a calendar she received and would say “I’ll bet you 20 bucks you can’t guess when Kwanza starts this year!”. We would practically be on the edge of our seats just waiting to see what she would say.

I can’t help but smile when I think about how incredible my Grandma’s reunion must have been with her husband. He died when I was one, but I feel like I know him because she talked about him so much. She loved him so much and I can only imagine what their walks along the streets of gold have been like.

And even more than her reunion with my grandpa, I can’t help but smile when I think about my grandmother meeting her Savior face to face. I am confident that the Lord welcomed her into heaven as a “good and faithful servant”. Because you see, all of those things that make me smile...the memories, the servanthood, the wit, the joy, the love...I know they are all motivated by her deep love for Jesus Christ. She was constant in prayer and rich in faith.

So yes, my human heart is sad, but my spirit is filled with deep joy about the woman that she was, the impact that she had on so many lives, and at the ultimate welcome home she received from her Lord in heaven. "


Elijah loved looking out the window of the plane (he was a champ on the flights, by the way!).
All of the Spier family came over to my parents home after the service was over.  It was great to be with everyone.  I wish I would have taken more pictures though! I only took a few.  Here are my cousins Joe and Karen enjoying a good laugh (and my cousin Matt on the side).
Uncle Jim and Aunt Verna and some others.
In the afternoon Sunday we had really nice weather so we went out into my parents front yard and enjoyed the outdoors.  I love these pictures of Elijah.  Look at those eyes!
Yes, mommy?

3 comments:

Katie Duncan said...

Elijah looks sooooo big!!! I check this blog everyday to see more pictures of him. Its a good thing you're good at posting updates, or else I would be having serious withdrawals. I can't wait to see him at Christmas!

Aunt Rach said...

Love these!!

Peter and Bethany said...

Such a beautiful testimony about your g-ma's life, and your son is so stinkin cute:)