Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It is well with my soul...

On Saturday, my precious grandmother, Evelyn Spier, went to be with her Lord.  I can not accurately express how meaningful my relationship with her has been over the years.  It is only later on in life that I have realized how often she went above and beyond anything anyone could ever ask from a grandmother.  We had the honor of having Grandma live with us for 20 years as I was growing up.  I would often go see Grandma in the apartment downstairs, only to walk in and see her reading her Bible and praying for her family, her friends, even those she had never met.  I remember that all she wanted for her 80th birthday was to have her whole family together in church, worshipping God together.  She always kept us laughing with her quick wit and incredible sense of humor, even later on in life as her health was failing.  She was an absolute joy to be around...she is one the most vivid examples of what it means to truly love and follow Jesus, no matter what the cost or circumstance, that I have had in my life.  We will miss her greatly, of course, but what an incredible blessing it is to grieve with hope, knowing that when this life is over, I will walk the streets of gold with her.  


I'm so glad Elijah had the chance to meet his Great Grandma (by the way, he is one of 13 great grandchildren) when I went home in March. 

4 comments:

Rebekah Wallace said...

thanks for sharing about your grandma, what a wonderful Godly legacy she left!

Unknown said...

That picture is priceless. Because I love older people more than kids, I'd have to say that Grandma Spier is adorable! Continuing to lift you guys all up.

Grandma said...

How blessed we have been to have had her in our lives! Thank you, Chrissie, for this loving tribute. She loved you three girls so much.

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful tribute, Chrissie! You are the sweetest!